Sunday, March 23, 2008

A True Christmas Story - December 17, 2005

Several of the things I am posting are old stories and such...

Every year at my church we do something called the Giving Tree where we have about 200 families come who without us, would not be able to afford Christmas presents. Well, every youth sunday school group will host an activity booth where the kids can come and recieve prizes such as little toys and candy, and have some fun. My group had an obstacle course. One of the first little boys to come through was probably about nine years old. He went through having a good time, especially trying to make the ball go into the basket ball hoop while he was dizzy from spinning around. Well I was holding the prize bucket that they could pick something out of. So I starting looking in there for things I thought a nine year old would enjoy. A toy truck, an airplane, noisemakers, or G. I. Joes. Well I pointed these things out to him, but he looked around in them and picked up a box of crayons. I guess God must have helped him to sense my surprise, or maybe my astonishment was that obvious in my face. Quietly so only I would hear him, he said to me, I want to take these and give them to my little sister for Christmas. The rest of the day, the little boy did not come back to our room, I never even learned his name. More than likely I will never see him again. But that little boy touched me in the same way that Christ touched all of us. He teaches us that it is more than getting things for ourselves. It is about giving things to others, things that we get for them, when we could be getting for ourselves. I will never forget that little boy, and I can imagine the joy on his sister's face that I have never met, when she opens up this wonderful gift from her big brother on Christmas morning.

No comments: