Friday, April 25, 2008

A love-hate relationship

As some of you may know, I have participated in the Day of Silence for the past few years, protesting the hatred towards gays, lesbians, bisexuals, and transgender people. When I first did this, I was worried about what my friends from church would say when they discovered that I was standing up for those who, according to our beliefs, were sinners.

In the eyes of God, all sins are created equal with the exception of Mark 3:29 which states:

"
But whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven; he is guilty of an eternal sin."

Any other sin can be forgiven but this one, and all other sins are at the same level. That means that if I go and steal, it is the same as being a practicing gay. Say though that I go, I have the temptation to steal, yet I resist the temptation and walk away, is that not the same as a person who realizes that they are gay, but chooses to not act upon it.

Why then do we go and treat those who are worse in our eyes differently from those who are the same in God's eyes.

Some people may disagree with me on my view on this subject. The Bible says that marriage is a union between a male and a female, a man and a woman, I do not believe that there is anything wrong with being gay, bisexual, or lesbian. I belive that what is wrong is practing being LGTB. This does not mean that I look down upon those who do practice. This is where I believe that people get confused, we are told to love one another as God loves us. I don't believe that we have the capacity in our hearts to love unconditionaly as Jesus has. I believe though that we should strive to be like Him everyday. I believe that by saying that their sin is so great, that they are worse than we are, that is not going to be what will bring them to God.

I dont know where I am going with this. I am way too emotional right now. More stuff on that in a later blog. I'm jumping all over the place right now and I dont think I make much sense.

1 comment:

Drew Dixon said...

I completely agree with you on the issue. For real. I get so angry at Christians when they point their finger at one specific group of people with one specific type of sin and say that they're worse than others.

I don't see them singling out the adulterers or the fornicators or the liars. Why do they always point at the homosexuals?

It infuriates me.